Saturday, April 2, 2011

Spring Is Here Snack

Last weekend I wanted to make a 'fun' lunch for the kids and since it is finally spring I wanted to celebrate that a little bit.  I looked in our freezer to see what we had and I had a loaf of English muffins and a pack of frozen wieners.  In the past when I have been playing with food colouring in water I realized that you can make noodles any colour your heart desires as long as you have food colouring in the boiling water.  So, I thought.... can I make wieners coloured too?  The answer to that is YES!  So, all I did was cut wieners in half and then sliced those halves in 4 lengthwise pieces.  I put some burgundy colour in the water and cooked them.  I was left with curled, red hot dog bits.  I guess if you do not want them to curl you need to cook them whole but I would guess that then the colour will not go through the entire hot dog.  Then, all I did was put cheese on the bread, placed the hot dog on top and then cut a cross section of hot dog for the centre.  I envisioned making a flower but when I made the green stem it looked too weird.  I then just put the whole thing in the toaster oven and now we had a 'spring' grilled cheese.  My daughter called it a flower, my son thought it looked like a sun and my hubby and I decided it looked like a pinwheel.  Whatever you think it looks like, it is easy and another fun food idea.  You could be creative and make an assortment of sandwiches.  I know I will be trying more designs with different colours!

Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment