Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Easter Eggs



Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Easter Eggs decorated with coloured chocolate

I LOVE Reese so I decided to whip up my own.  I have to be truthful, I do not use a recipe.  I have made chocolate peanut butter treats before and I added graham cracker crumbs but this time around I just mixed peanut butter and icing sugar until I liked the taste.  I made them last year and this year for Easter.  Last year I mixed by hand and this year I mixed with the hand mixer.  If you want more firm peanut butter, mix with hand but I liked the fluffier/lighter texture you get when you use the mixer.  The problem with the mixer is it is harder to cover the peanut butter eggs with chocolate since it does not hold its' form as well.  So, basically... I mix peanut butter (use the non-stir type) and icing sugar until I like the taste, use a cookie cutter to help me form the mixture, set in freezer, take out and dip in melting chocolate, put back in freezer, take out after it is set and decorate.  Last year I actually 'painted' the eggs with coloured chocolate.... this proved to be labour intensive but provided wonderful results.  This year I 'painted' on a bit of regular chocolate and then sprinkled some coloured sugar on it or cake confetti - easier to do but not as nice looking.  All in all, they are way better than store bought Reese and a fun Easter treat.
This years eggs with sugar










Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment