Saturday, May 28, 2011

Star "Stained Glassed" Cookies for Memorial Day or 4th of July

Star Shaped Stained Glass Cookies!

These cookies are simple to make but so much more 'fun' than your basic cookie.  I just use a basic sugar cookie for the main part of the cookie and I added red food colouring to the dough to change the colour.  Unfortunately, red always ends up looking like pink, unless you want to totally change the consistency and taste of your base so I just work with it!  I used a large star cookie cutter for the border and then I used my small star cookie cutter to cut the 'window' out.  Put on a cookie sheet but you MUST use parchment paper or it will stick.  Place a Jolly Rancher or other candy of your choice in the middle, bake as usual, take out of the oven, let cool, and decorate if you want.  To remove these cookies I just slip the entire paper with the cookies on it onto the counter so that I do not wreck the inside candy, since it will change shape while it is still warm.  Once they are completely cooled you can remove them and mess with them so I do not use a cooling rack for these, I just use my counter top (which is granite).  As you can tell, I used all blue candies for Memorial Day and/or 4th of July but you can do whatever you want.  I also chose to make little star cookies from the inner 'window' but you could just re-roll and make more large cookies.  I actually used melted coloured white chocolate as my 'glue' for the decorations and coloured sugar because then it all stays on, as opposed to icing which will not completely harden unless you use royal icing!

All ready to bake
All done, the 'inner' star and the 'stained' glass cookie


Some of the 'inner' stars decorated!















Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment